Saturday, October 27, 2007

In South Korea..

Ahn Nyoung Ha Seh Yo (Hello) from Korea! =)

It's about a week and a half in Korea. and it is a little surreal. I'll have to put up some pictures soon.

So, I was living with manager of my apartment for a while since my place wasn't ready-- in their penthouse, which is really just the top of a building. (They also adopted me as their ddal (daughter) for the year.^^)

But, I am finally in my apartment and I started working at the hakwon, the afterschool English school, this past Monday. My students are grades 1-5. I have planning for 2 hours and then teach 4 different classes every day for two 40-minute blocks each.

Teaching has been challenging but is getting better with the passing days-- juggling the frustration and adjustment with patience, enjoying the job, learning how to manage a classroom, and remembering that they are kids. I think I've done my share of raising my voice this week. haha. But they're growing on me with time already.

Also, I've been getting to know my co-workers as well, whom come and go with English teaching jobs. A lot of them are leaving soon, but they have been great to me. I'm very thankful for them. =) Most of them are Canadian actually, and I'm the only Korean American teacher in my school, which I was kind of surprised to find. They showed me where to find Kim bap for less than $3.00, with soup included.

Friday night, I was in Itaewon, an area in Seoul, where there are a lot foreigners. I saw people of many races-- American, European, Middle Eastern, African American, Asian, etc. Also, a lot of people from the nearby military base. I had some great Indian food out there for my coworker's boyfriend's birthday.

Today, I was in Insadong and Myeongdong-- walking the streets with another teacher. City life is very different-- heavy traffic, crowded with people, smoky air, restaurants and stores everywhere. Today, I saw homeless people sleeping near the crowded streets and also disabled men pushing themselves along the ground. It makes me wonder about where Jesus' heart is in all of that. Not to mention, Koreans taking pictures of and crowding around a foreign baby with bright blue eyes.

I saw multiple pig heads being sold on the side of the street in Insadong, which I proceeded to quickly move past. People love announcing the different products that they are selling on a microphone or megaphone, even if you are in a store. I kind of wonder if they are on commission at times. hehe. One day this week, a lady at the grocery store in Korea personally helped me pick out air freshener for 5 minutes.

Tomorrow, I will be going to check out another church-- Onnuri. I'm pretty excited actually and am hoping that I'll be able to find a good church community while I am here in Seoul. Last week, I went to a different church with Gloria, who is here in Seoul too! =)

Well. this is the first post of many to come! Thank you to those who have been there through these past weeks and months of transition-- for walking alongside and being patient with me. =) Hope to connect with you soon!

Beatrice

No comments: