Monday, February 11, 2008

He who has ears, let him hear.

I stood outside of my church today for a good 30-45 minutes.
Watching the many people walk by, foreigners and native Koreans-- hearing a mix of languages.

In particular, I was interested in this one man standing outside.

The church I attend is a huge one in Seoul. Two buildings with multiple floors-- a bookstore, coffeeshop, and multiple worship halls and eating areas.
Therefore, I've seen groups do human rights protests outside of it.
Also, people playing the harmonica and collecting money from the many people passing by, or attempting to at least.


Anyway, back to the man, there was a different person standing outside after I came out of service. I thought of buying him a drink since it was cold out.

Then, there was a cart selling ho-duk, and I, very hungry by that point, bought a snack. Then, I stood contemplating what I should do next, where I should go that is.

Then, I just stood there for a while, watching this man. Thinking about whether I should try to talk to him. Most people didn't give him a second glance. Most people were buying snacks on the street, talking about what to do after church, and here is this man grumbling and not very happy.

He began to complain that none of these people even would give him anything. And as all of them are buying all these snacks, to even notice him. He was just muttering to himself, half-rhetorically. And even one time put his stick in front of some girls walking. (He was blind, or visually impaired)

And I stood there checking my phone, trying to be inconspicuous. Finally, in an abrupt movement went to go stand in the line again. I bought two snacks, took one (I dont know why-my humanly selfish nature?) and gave one to him. And he was so thankful, and stopped mumbling. And I walked away.

He had a message for us today. About money, lifestyle, what is of importance.

He who has ears, let him hear.

No comments: